Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Music and Drum

Which poem(s) "speaks to you" and why?

23 comments:

  1. The Lost Years spoke to me because i think that it really showed how a war affects everyone even if they are not the ones fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed "War Games" by John Foster. It carries a simple message about a young boy playing a war game, shooting at the inanimate trashcan; he, understandably, doesn't feel any remorse for wounding it. So, when he hears the war-of-the-day statistics on the nightly news from his comfy coach, he is "unflinching," or unaffected by it. I like how the poet compares the child's game and keeping score with a real war...and mentions the problem with comprehending the score of the actual war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the one that had the greatest impact on me was the poem "The Lost Years" by Fionnuala Bogues, because it talked about how war can waste one's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i believe that the first poem (war) spoke to me because it shows what it is like to lose and then to have nothing left!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don'to like wars spoke to me the mostt because it gave the feeling that i think most people have. It talks about even though the war may be no where near you, its still terrible to have it be going on at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Paint Box
    "I had a paint box-
    Each colours growing with delight:
    I had paint box with colous
    Warm and cool and bright... (ect.)"
    -Tali Shurek, 13
    This poem truly touches me. I am an artist and have also used painting to make bad moments better. This child in the poem I believe has all the colours he need to paint "pain" but instead uses colours to paint "peace". I believe this boy is trying to get pas the pain, hurt, anguish, and torture he saw and take some baby steps forward. And aren't baby steps the best way to start?

    "I have orange for joy and life,
    i had green for the buds and blooms,
    I had blue for clear bright skies.
    I had pink for dreams and rest.
    I sat down and painted
    ... Peace."

    ReplyDelete
  7. "A Dream" really spoke to me because it shows that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like war was the poem that i liked best, i liked it the best because it shows how the war affects everyone. Even if you are not fighting in the war, it still affects everyone. It shows how some things so simple can be taken away, and you will miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A Dream" really spoke to me because it shows that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "A Dream" really spoke to me because it shows that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The poem "The Lost Years" meant the most to me because it showed how much children are really hurt by war, even if they are not part of the fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Paint Box really spoke to me. It spoke to me because it is from a child's point of view and they didn't want war. They painted peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite is "Hope" by Mary O'Neill. Every line makes me smile as old memories come back to me.
    The idea of hope can be extremely complex, but the author saw hope in the simplest, every day things that almost everyone can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Coward spoke to me more than any other poem. It exhibits the fear that war creates inside of you, and that you are not alone in your fear, even if you have no one else to share it with. Everyone is afraid of war, and, even if we are on opposite sides, we all feel equal terror towards the same strife.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A Dream

    I liked this one because it is so true. It talks about sights we see every day but applies it to peace. It is a beautiful poem that was written by a 16 year old. It was my favorite because the author's message really stands out in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The poem O Mother Mine spoke to me the most of the poems. Its tone has a beautiful hopeful quality to it, as it speaks of an angel bringing peace and healing. Though it talks about the pain of war as well, it leaves your soul feeling lifted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite poem was Hope by Mary O'Neill. It showed that hope never really fails and anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Don't Like Wars spoke to me the most. It was written by a child and gives examples of what he enjoys most in life. I really like the ending line that says "I like Peace come to stay, and it will some day". He has hope for peace in the future and that really speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The poem, "A Dream" spoke to me because it says, "In a dream last night i saw the most impossible sight- two opposites can peacefully unite." This poem spoke to me because i've wondered why countries can't just settle their differences and some countries (U.S.) can't just keep their nose out of other countries business. More than 3/4 of the wars of useless. So we Americans need to 1. keep our nose out of other countries buisness, 2. If we do have to know what other countries our doing and we decide to help, do it peacefully. It's not that hard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. the poem 'January' spoke to me because it showed that some things can from the past can make you walk low, but when things start over and are new then you should start out walking tall again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite poem was "The Paint Box". It really spoke to me because it was from the point of view of a 13 year old kid. Since the kid ignored the hate and violence, she could create peace with what she had.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I read The Lost Years and I think that it spoke to me about how kids get sucked up in the war if their parents are involved in it. They just accept the war as the way it is and cannot remember times before the war. this poem spoke to me about how the children wanted a normal childhood back.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked war games. He is trying to say that kids have no idea what actual war is like

    ReplyDelete